Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Leg 7: Mandalay, Myanmar

This sign made me laugh. I've never seen so many batteries for sale. It's what keeps Cambodia and Myanmar "running" it seems. ; )
On the road again. Such was the nature of our Southeast Asia trip. Very glad we took our travel backpacks. But I'm thinking I could've packed a little lighter to save on weight. I wore everything I took except a couple skirts. Not long enough to wear at temples. Besides, everyone seems to wear long skirts--men and women. I would've stuck out with my big, white legs! ; )

Mandalay Palace
We flew from Bangkok to Mandalay. It's located in Myanmar (formerly known as Burma). I can't say that I really liked Mandalay and thought it was a trashy, run-down city. It's really not that bad, but you can see what it once was as you wander around the streets. (Similar to Phnom Penh in Cambodia.) After an hour or so of walking with our backpacks, I decided to ask a nice looking hotel across from the train station if we could leave our packs with them. I wanted to pay, but I don't think they understood. Luckily, they were gracious enough to take our packs--for FREE! So nice!!! Plus we didn't feel like targets wandering with everything on our back. ; )

It was an interesting place for sure, just mostly tainted by the train station and the train ride we took that night. haha! The highlight of this town was my beautiful, old horse puppet we found! I really wanted a puppet but they're hard to find now and many were destroyed. I need to practice so I can put on my puppet show! The horse is heavy!

Mainly we wandered around and walked the streets. Didn't tour the main palace--just took pics across the river. There are a lot of Indian people in Mandalay, so we ate Indian food for lunch. If traveling to Myanmar, I would skip this area. Or at least skip the train!!!

The Train. Why did we take the train? It was cheap and eliminated a night's stay somewhere. Conor thought we could sleep on the train. HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! Aside from giving birth, it's one of the worst night's sleep I've ever had! I should've taken a video. Memorable, nonetheless. ; ) After dark, we picked up our backpacks at the hotel and waited at the train station. The police (or someone in uniform) came and got us when it was time and took us to our seats. We were the only Americans on the train--probably the only foreigners, too. Only locals seemed to travel on the train. We paid more money for the "First Class" tickets. lol I don't even want to know what the cheaper fares were like. Our seats were so old and fabric was soiled. Nasty enough that we both layed down fabric or dirty clothes to sit on. It was loud--you couldn't really talk or hear very well. But my favorite was the movement of the train--bouncing up and down, side to side--it was unbelievable. Better than any ride at an amusement park could offer! My butt was moving in and out of my seat. Not an easy task since I'm no lightweight! It actually got chilly with all the wind blowing in through the window. We were covered in black, oily soot from the train the next morning. Pretty sure these are old trains used during the Korean War (read it in the guide book). I don't think a thing has been done to them since! I refrained from drinking any water so I wouldn't have to use the squatter on the train. I can only imagine how filthy it was. The stench was overwhelming when we walked on. Thank you, Conor, for exposing me to so many things I never would've experienced without you!!!!

Size Matters. Way to say it Air Asia!!!




 

Ya, surprisingly there were NO lines to purchase train tickets. haha!
Later on in the day there were hundreds of Burmese people laying, sleeping, on their mats at train station. We were lucky enough to grab one of the FEW chairs.

Straws are offered to drink your bottled water. Apparently they think the top is dirty?




More of the train station area. People are living beneath the bridge. There are public places to bathe on several street corners. I felt too sheepish to take photos of them, even though they were clothed.






People stay in this squatting position for hours. Maybe they move around, but I don't know how they do it!


This guy was taking us to a street we were looking for. Ended up being a run-down hotel. They have a hard time hearing and saying numbers. Street signs were missing all over this town so was a little tricky. Conor was so nice to keep hunting for my puppet!!!


Loads of trucks are carrying fabric. These are large bolts of fleece.



Old weaved fence that's fallen down. I thought it was cool.

Mandalay Night Market. Kinda fun. Bought a few pieces of fabric that the ladies told me looked lovely as skirts.


 




No comments:

Post a Comment