Friday, April 13, 2012

So You Think You Can Bake?!

I used to think I was a decent baker. Last weekend pretty much dissolved that pretty little idea out of my head. Good thing I wasn't the only person bringing a dessert to Easter dinner!

Halfway through I checked on the cake and realized it was overflowing. At least I had the sense to place some foil beneath it to catch the batter.
Such a lovely smell filled the house with burning cake. Afterwards came the cleaning. It really made my day!!!
Then this sweet little lady pooped her pants. At least I put the diaper on tight this time. One less mess to clean up!
I told her I burned the cake. Hazel thought it was funny. It did make me laugh.
Charred remains from the bottom of the oven I scraped off.
The edible bits of cake that landed on foil and hanging from racks.
And the cake after I tried to piece it together. It was so ugly it went on a Dixie plate!!!
I made an almond pound cake. Thank goodness for all the butter--made removal in the oven much easier!!! What was left of the cake did taste good. Ironically this is a recipe I discovered in Houston and it turned out beautifully there. It would raise up an inch or two above the pan, but held its ground, making a nice, tall cake. All of recipes that were my "tried and true" failed there. Go figure! I'll give it another go, just not add all the batter to the bundt pan next time. : )

1 comment:

  1. You're just going to have to keep your cooking at sea level, girl. ;~)

    ReplyDelete