Sunday, May 6, 2012

Quinoa with Roasted Veggies


I had purchased some large and lovely red bell peppers and was trying to figure out a way to use them. Stuffed peppers sparked my interest. But, I was craving some quinoa and perused blogs and recipes and came up with my own version with a touch of sweet and heat! I thought it was good, but actually preferred the quinoa on its own and not in the pepper. Great main dish or side that can be eaten hot, cold, warm and fabulous either way.

"Some like it hot. Some like it cold. Some like it in the pot nine days old." Thank you Ms. Richards for teaching me that in 1st grade during classroom rotations. I'm not suggesting you eat the quinoa 9 days old, however, I find the flavors blend and are tastier after a few days.

QUINOA WITH ROASTED VEGGIES

1 jalapeno, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped
1/4 sween onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 1/2 carrots, shredded
1/3 red pepper, chopped (use if not stuffing peppers--not shown here)
1/3 cup golden raisins
1 cup chicken broth (I used 1 tsp. + of chicken base and added water)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 lime
cilantro, a small handful, chopped
2/3 c. quinoa
coarse sea salt
black pepper, freshly ground

*If stuffing peppers:
Mexican shredded cheese (I use Kroger brand)
avocado, diced
2 lg. red peppers, sliced in half lengthwise

Rinse the quinoa, drain and add enough water to cook. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce to a simmer until cooked.

Saute the first 5 ingredients for 3-5 minutes over medium-high heat. Then add carrots and red pepper (if using) and saute several more minutes. Add the golden raisins and chicken broth and cook over medium heat until liquid has evaporated. Season with salt and pepper (sometimes I do this as I'm sautéing vegetables) .


Stir in the quinoa. If it seems you've cooked too much, don't add all of it. Add the black beans and squeeze the lime juice over mixture. Add the cilantro and stir it so it's evenly blended together. You may want more salt and pepper since the quinoa seems to soak it up as well.





*If you're preparing stuffed peppers, spoon the mixture into peppers and bake. The last 10 minutes add the cheese so it browns. (I don't recall temp. I baked at. Sorry! But it seems I had a total baking time of 50 minutes.) Remove from oven and add avocado.


Stuffed and ready to bake.
Nicely toasted and crunchy quinoa on top!

It makes a beautiful presentation and so colorful!

Seriously--it's fabulous on it's own, without doing the stuffed pepper thing. And it was lovely to pull out of the fridge and eat cold several days later--just not nine! Mine didn't even last close to that long!!!

2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! You can make it for me next time I'm there. In return, I will let you babysit Maddie. You're so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did a girl get so lucky?! I feel so privileged!!!

    ReplyDelete