Saturday, April 3, 2010

Bring on the BEEF!!!


Digging in the archives now, trying to catch up with life. I'll go back to where I left off last fall. Yes, I am fully aware it is April . . . . just be grateful Conor posted the video while on our Utah trip in December! ; )

So, many of you may find this amusing. I am 31 years old and had never cooked a "real" roast. Only thing I had ever done was venison roasts, from deer and elk--which were small cuts. The only way I had ever prepared them in the past was using the pressure cooker. They were alright, but probably stored in the freezer way too long before I got to that point. (Having an upright freezer that was larger than my fridge just perpetuated the awful cycle!) Growing up we ate red meat and potatoes all the time--to the point I grew sick of it. Most of my adult life I haven't eaten or cooked them much. Chicken has become my protein of choice! : )

Last fall Conor wanted to know if we could have roast, potatoes, etc. and have the traditional Sunday meal after church. I laughed and then realized I haven't done that in years, let alone since we've been married. That next week I found a roast at the store that looked interesting and decided to try my hand at a real beef roast! I don't even recall what it was now--crown rib roast? I browned it with seasonings and cut slits for garlic and rosemary--then added all the other goodies. Baked it in the oven until medium rare and it was good. I personally think it looked better than it tasted. lol The following weeks I tried a slow cooked roast in the crock pot, with meat only and fixings baked on low in the oven. Loved that!!! Then I tried one with it all together in the crock pot--meat was amazingly tender and fell apart, once again, but I like the flavor of my potatoes, carrots, onion, etc. by itself. Always have.

Here's to my attempts to reawaken my homemaking self and preparing better, home-cooked meals!

No comments:

Post a Comment